5 SURPRISING FACTS ABOUT AR RAHMAN
From the shores of Marina, the fragrance of his musical charm glided across 7 seas. The world calls him ‘Madras Mozart’ and we believe, he has redefined music with his impeccable wizardry. Ages pass by and yet his debut album ‘Roja’ still remains so fresh sending a vein full of vigor and enthusiasms unlimited. Nearly 25 years and there is no replacement for this maestro and an ample evidence comes with a minute teaser of song from Accham Yenbadhu Madamaiyada. This clearly writes is all over the history that how many ever musical magicians arrive, he is simply the emperor of the kingdom. As the music director celebrates his birthday, we bring you five interesting facts about the academy award winner.
1. Due to financial pressures and family commitments, AR Rahman by 1988 was working day and night 18 hours per day on shift basis. One shift for musical arrangements would go on from 9 am to 9 pm and immediately would rush to another studio from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m. He would sleep and eat between these shifts.
2. Initially, AR Rahman was paid a small sum of Rs. 200 per shift and later out of his hard work landed up on a scale of Rs. 15,000.
3. It is worth mentioning that Vande Mataram album and Maryan fame Bharath Bala is AR Rahman’s childhood friend.
4. AR Rahman’s first independent music album was ‘Disco Disco’, which was made in collaboration with actor-music director-singer Malaysia Vasudevan.
5. The first meeting of Mani Ratnam and AR Rahman happened during the success party, after the advertisement for Leo Coffee won awards. Mani Ratnam’s cousin sister Sharada got AR Rahman introduced to ‘Mani Sir’ as he fondly calls.